Italian Sausage Quiche Recipe
This popular quiche recipe is made with mild Italian sausage, made especially for us by our local butcher. For the best flavor, choose sausage that is not too heavily spiced. —Lee Ann Miller, Millersburg, Ohio
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 4 teaspoons chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash garlic powder
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°. Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Fill with dried beans, uncooked rice or pie weights.
- 2. Bake 8 minutes. Remove foil and weights; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven temperature to 375°.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage, onion, green pepper and jalapeno over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Spoon into shell and sprinkle with cheese.
- 4. In a large bowl, whisk remaining ingredients; pour over cheese. Bake 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
1 piece equals 528 calories, 42 g fat (21 g saturated fat), 217 mg cholesterol, 702 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 17 g protein.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC