Italian-Sausage Pepper Sandwiches Recipe
- 2 uncooked Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links links
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste, optional
- 2 French or submarine rolls, split and toasted
- 1. In a small skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until browned. Let stand until cool enough to handle. Cut into 1/2-in. slices. Return to pan and cook until no longer pink; drain and set aside.
- 2. In same skillet, saute the onion, green pepper, red pepper and garlic in oil until crisp-tender. Add the sausage, tomato, oregano and salt and pepper if desired. Cook until tomatoes are heated through. Spoon sausage mixture into rolls. Yield: 2 servings.
One serving (1 each) equals 291 calories, 12 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 466 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 11 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable.