- 1/4 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup sliced zucchini
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons uncooked orzo or small shell pasta
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, cook the sausage, mushrooms, zucchini and onion in oil over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the broth, tomatoes, basil and pepper. Bring to a boil. Stir in pasta. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until pasta is tender. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for Italian Sausage Orzo Soup
"I'm not a big fan of Italian sausage so I used this recipe with another one in this collection. I saut?ed onions, garlic, sliced mushrooms in Olive Oil 1 T. butter until tender, added sliced smoked sausage until almost done, added a few handfuls of baby spinach leaves until wilted, two 14.5oz cans petite tomatoes & two 14.5oz cans low sodium/low fat chicken broth, Italian Seasoning, Basil & Parsley. I added double the Orzo, stirred it in, reduced to simmer with lid for 15 minutes. It was absolutely delicious. My husband loves the sausage & I love everything else. It made enough for dinner & lunch the next day. The original recipe made 2 servings so that's why increased ingredients."
"I made this soup several weeks ago and I loved it!! I used Italian sausage links cut up instead of bulk. I added celery and one small can of tomato sauce. I skipped the zucchini and used canned mushrooms. I also used one can of chicken broth instead of a 1 1/4 cups and 1 can of diced tomatoes instead of 1 cup. I also used about 4-5 tablespoons of orzo instead of 3. The soup has a great taste and is really easy to make. I'm making it again tonight!!"
"I used hot Italian turkey sausage to give the soup some spice. This is my idea of simple-to-make comfort food."