Italian Sausage Orzo Soup Recipe
- 1/4 pound Johnsonville® Mild Ground Italian Sausage
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup sliced zucchini
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons uncooked orzo or small shell pasta
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook the sausage, mushrooms, zucchini and onion in oil over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the broth, tomatoes, basil and pepper. Bring to a boil. Stir in pasta. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until pasta is tender. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 2 servings.
1-1/2 cups equals 236 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 819 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 12 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.