- 1/4 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup sliced zucchini
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons uncooked orzo or small shell pasta
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, cook the sausage, mushrooms, zucchini and onion in oil over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the broth, tomatoes, basil and pepper. Bring to a boil. Stir in pasta. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until pasta is tender. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Italian Sausage Orzo Soup in Cooking for 2 Winter 2006, p53
Reviews for Italian Sausage Orzo Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 29, 2011
"I used hot Italian turkey sausage to give the soup some spice. This is my idea of simple-to-make comfort food."