Italian Sausage N Peppers Supper
I created this sausage and pepper dish after I enjoyed similar at an Italian restaurant. My young son loves it even though it is a little spicy.
-Teresa Puszkar of Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 pound turkey Italian sausage links
- 1/2 cup each julienned sweet red, yellow and green pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, drained
- Cook pasta according to package directions. In a large nonstick
- skillet, brown sausage over medium heat; drain. Cut sausage into
- 1/4-in. slices. In the same skillet, saute the peppers, basil,
- garlic, oregano, thyme, caraway seeds and sliced sausage in oil
- until peppers are crisp-tender. Stir in tomatoes. Cook and stir
- until heated through. Drain pasta; add to skillet and mix well.
- Yield: 5 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 327 calories, 12 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 845 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber,