Fill your house with the warm, wonderful aroma of this rich, bold-flavored sauce. It’s my first original recipe and a family favorite from the start. We love its zesty blend of veggies and Italian turkey links. —Teresa Kriese, Eau Claire, Wisconsin
- 1 package (19-1/2 ounces) Italian turkey sausage links, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 small zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, julienned
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) Italian crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4-1/2 teaspoons Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups uncooked whole wheat penne pasta
- In a Dutch oven, saute sausage until no longer pink; drain. Remove and set aside. In the same pan, saute the zucchini, pepper and mushrooms in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, cheese, hot sauce, Italian seasoning, sugar and salt. Stir in sausage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour or until slightly thickened.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Serve with sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Italian Sausage Marinara with Penne in Healthy Cooking August/September 2011, p33
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Italian Sausage Marinara with Penne
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review