Italian Sausage Marinara with Penne Recipe
- 1 package (19-1/2 ounces) Italian turkey sausage links, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 small zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, julienned
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) Italian crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4-1/2 teaspoons Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups uncooked whole wheat penne pasta
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute sausage until no longer pink; drain. Remove and set aside. In the same pan, saute the zucchini, pepper and mushrooms in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan.
- 2. Add the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, cheese, hot sauce, Italian seasoning, sugar and salt. Stir in sausage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour or until slightly thickened.
- 3. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Serve with sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup sauce with 1 cup pasta equals 441 calories, 12 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 991 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 24 g protein.
Reviews for Italian Sausage Marinara with Penne
"This was excellent!"
"Fabulous and easy! I used bulk italian sausage crumbled into the sauce, and a couple of dashes of tabasco instead of Louisiana hot sauce (since my store was out of it)."
"I didn't use all three zucchini and because garlic has a stronger aroma than taste, I only used one clove. I also took the substitute suggestion and used the chicken broth instead of red wine and THE NATIVES ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!!!!"
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.