Italian Sausage Marinara with Penne Recipe
- 1 package (19-1/2 ounces) Italian turkey sausage links, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 small zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, julienned
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) Italian crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4-1/2 teaspoons Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups uncooked whole wheat penne pasta
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute sausage until no longer pink; drain. Remove and set aside. In the same pan, saute the zucchini, pepper and mushrooms in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan.
- 2. Add the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, cheese, hot sauce, Italian seasoning, sugar and salt. Stir in sausage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour or until slightly thickened.
- 3. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Serve with sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup sauce with 1 cup pasta: 441 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 991mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 8g fiber), 24g protein.
Reviews for Italian Sausage Marinara with Penne
"This was excellent!"
"Fabulous and easy! I used bulk italian sausage crumbled into the sauce, and a couple of dashes of tabasco instead of Louisiana hot sauce (since my store was out of it)."
"I didn't use all three zucchini and because garlic has a stronger aroma than taste, I only used one clove. I also took the substitute suggestion and used the chicken broth instead of red wine and THE NATIVES ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!!!!"
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.