Italian Sausage Marinara with Penne Recipe
- 1 package (19-1/2 ounces) Italian turkey sausage links, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 small zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, julienned
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) Italian crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4-1/2 teaspoons Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups Daily Chef Penne Rigate
- In a Dutch oven, saute sausage until no longer pink; drain. Remove and set aside. In the same pan, saute the zucchini, pepper and mushrooms in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, cheese, hot sauce, Italian seasoning, sugar and salt. Stir in sausage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour or until slightly thickened.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Serve with sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Italian Sausage Marinara with Penne(3)
Sort By :
This was excellent!
Fabulous and easy! I used bulk italian sausage crumbled into the sauce, and a couple of dashes of tabasco instead of Louisiana hot sauce (since my store was out of it).
I didn't use all three zucchini and because garlic has a stronger aroma than taste, I only used one clove. I also took the substitute suggestion and used the chicken broth instead of red wine and THE NATIVES ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!!!!
More Recipe Collections
- Birthday Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >
- Pasta & Sauces >
- Pasta Dinners >
- Pasta Recipes >
- Squash Recipes >