Italian Sausage Macaroni Bake Recipe
"Because we have three children who keep us busy, casseroles have been life-savers for me," notes Amber Zurbrugg of Alliance, Ohio. "This one especially appeals to me because it has a rich Italian flavor."
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 3/4 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Drain macaroni.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the macaroni, sausage mixture, tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, parsley, garlic, oregano, salt, basil and pepper.
- 3. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 539 calories, 35 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 89 mg cholesterol, 1,371 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 28 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC