Italian Sausage Macaroni Bake Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 3/4 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Drain macaroni.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the macaroni, sausage mixture, tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, parsley, garlic, oregano, salt, basil and pepper.
- 3. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 539 calories, 35g fat (14g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 1371mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 28g protein.
Reviews for Italian Sausage Macaroni Bake
"This is the long draft of a casserole that I've been making for over 40 years. I used a jar of spaghetti sauce instead of the green peppers, onions and tomato sauce and seasonings. I did use the Parmesan cheese as suggested here, but found it too salty for us. Nix the Parmesan next time."
"We used 1 roll RB Rice Italian sausage, substituted small penne for the macaroni, and added a large tomato (chopped). Made as such, the recipe yielded an uncomplicated flavor with great presentation. The crew gave it a "thumbs up" before it even hit the oven."