- 1 package (19-1/2 ounces) Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 cups chopped fresh kale
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken stock
- 3-1/4 cups chicken stock (26 ounces)
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil), chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook sausage and onion over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Add kale to pot; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add garlic and, if desired, pepper flakes; cook 1 minute. Add wine; cook 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in sausage mixture and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes or until kale is tender. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Italian Sausage Kale Soup
Sort By :
This is a very good soup, and so healthy. After reading reviews, I took advice and doubled the broth and cut sausage to 1 lb. Since this is supposed to be Italian, I added a 1/4 cup each of chopped fresh basil and oregano. This is very delicious. I used a combination of hot and mild sausage. It liked it but it was too hot for my wife. So next time, just mild sausage and no pepper flakes. I can always add them to my servings.
I love warm and thick soups and this was wonderful. I made a vegetarian version by adding turnips and parsnips instead of the sausage and it was just perfect. Delicious and hearty for a belly warmer as the leaves outside are falling. I never really used kale in soup before, so am glad I found this recipe.
Hearty soup, easy to prepare.
This was wonderful soup; however, 26 oz. of chicken stock was not enough. I'm thinking that is an error. I doubled the chicken broth. I did used canned broth, not stock and the soup was very delicious. My lunchers all asked for the recipe! Confession: I used regular sweet Italian Sausage!
Too many ingredients that weren't on hand
More Recipe Collections
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Healthy Soup Recipes >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Soup >
- Italian Soups >
- Kale Soup >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Carb Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Sausage Soup >
- Soup Recipes >
- Sun Dried Tomato Recipes >