Italian Sausage Kale Soup Recipe
- 1 package (19-1/2 ounces) Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 cups chopped fresh kale
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken stock
- 3-1/4 cups chicken stock (26 ounces)
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil), chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook sausage and onion over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- 2. Add kale to pot; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add garlic and, if desired, pepper flakes; cook 1 minute. Add wine; cook 2 minutes longer.
- 3. Stir in sausage mixture and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes or until kale is tender. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup: 217 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 868mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 18g protein .
Reviews for Italian Sausage Kale Soup
"5 star .. made this it was wonderful , i used sweet sausage & a chirzo combination , gave it some slight tang was delisiosso ! my new go to quick soup"
"This soup was Deeelicious! Even my picky eater rated it "excellent"! I did use only one lb. of regular Italian sausage as suggested by other reviewers; otherwise, followed the recipe exactly. It was full of flavor! Can't wait to make it again!"
"Wow - great light soup. I used mild Italian cooked chicken sausage sliced, onion & garlic powder. Added fresh & dried basil & oregano, also. Grated Parmesan cheese tops it off deliciously! Hubby was hoping for potatoes when I had substituted cooked quinoa. I substituted a fresh tomato immersion blended with chicken broth for the diced. Increased the chicken broth, too."
"This was a waste of ingredients and time. The soup was nearly inedible and the remainder is being dumped. It was tasteless even after I added fresh oregano and smoked paprika. I don't know how anyone could rate this 5 stars.SJS9"
"This is a very good soup, and so healthy. After reading reviews, I took advice and doubled the broth and cut sausage to 1 lb. Since this is supposed to be Italian, I added a 1/4 cup each of chopped fresh basil and oregano. This is very delicious. I used a combination of hot and mild sausage. It liked it but it was too hot for my wife. So next time, just mild sausage and no pepper flakes. I can always add them to my servings."
"I love warm and thick soups and this was wonderful. I made a vegetarian version by adding turnips and parsnips instead of the sausage and it was just perfect. Delicious and hearty for a belly warmer as the leaves outside are falling. I never really used kale in soup before, so am glad I found this recipe."
"Hearty soup, easy to prepare."
"Too many ingredients that weren't on hand"
"This is definitely our favorite soup. I freeze it in Ziploc bags. I used one pound of Italian sausage, doubled the red pepper flakes, used two cans of diced tomatoes and added a cup of whole kernel corn."
"Used 1 lb of pork sausage and added extra chicken broth. My family likes soup soupier! Everyone loved it!"
"I made it with one pound sausage instead of one and a half, and there was still plenty of juice in which to cook the kale. I also used fresh tomatoes, which was a really nice addition."
"I made it with one pound sausage instead of one and a half, and there was still plenty of juice in which to cook the kale. I also used fresh tomatoes, which was a really nice addition. The pepper flakes added a good kick."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.