Italian Sausage Hoagies
"In southeastern Wisconsin, our cuisine is influenced by both Germans and Italians who immigrated to this area," Craig Wachs comments from his home in Racine. "When preparing this recipe, we usually substitute German bratwurst for the Italian sausage, so we blend the two influences with delicious results."
10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 10 Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links links
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 jar (24 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 loaves French bread (20 inches)
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown sausage in oil;
- drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the spaghetti sauce,
- peppers, water, cheese, oregano and basil. Cover and cook on low for
- 4 hours or until sausage is no longer pink.
- Slice each French bread lengthwise but not all of the way through;
- cut each loaf widthwise into five pieces. Fill each with sausage,
- peppers and sauce. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 509 calories, 21 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 1,451 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 22 g protein.