Italian Sausage Grinders Recipe
- 12 Italian sausage links (4 ounces each)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and parsley flakes
- 12 brat buns, split and toasted
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, brown sausages in oil; drain. Stir in the water, tomato paste, tomato sauce, garlic, sugar and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
- 2. Serve sausages on buns with sauce; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 12 servings.
1 sandwich with 1/4 cup sauce and 1 teaspoon cheese equals 467 calories, 23 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 1,056 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 22 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.