Italian Sausage Grinders
“This recipe has been in our family for more years than I would like to admit! It's quick and easy any time of the year. Anise seeds also make a great optional addition.” —Sally Yeagle, Burlington, Wisconsin
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 12 Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links links (4 ounces each)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano and parsley flakes
- 12 brat buns, split and toasted
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, brown sausages in oil; drain. Stir in the water,
- tomato paste, tomato sauce, garlic, sugar and seasonings; bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until meat is
- no longer pink.
- Serve sausages on buns with sauce; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 sandwich with 1/4 cup sauce and 1 teaspoon cheese equals 467 calories, 23 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 1,056 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 22 g protein.