I created this dish one day when I wasn't in the mood for anything I'd tried before. I used ingredients I had on hand. It's since become one of my family's requested meals.—Janet Wood, Windham, New Hampshire
Recommended: 29 Healthy Winter Skillet Meals
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the rice, onion and garlic; cook and stir until onion is tender. Stir in the water, salt and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 18-20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Stir in tomatoes and peas; cover and cook 5-10 minutes longer or until peas are heated through. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Italian Sausage Fried Rice in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p78
Reviews for Italian Sausage Fried Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 15, 2010
"This makes an easy tasty midweek skillet meal. I just added some fresh cucumber, and we were good to go."