Italian Sausage Egg Bake
This hearty entree from field editor Darlene Markham of Rochester, New York warms up any breakfast or brunch menu with its herb-seasoned flavor.
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 50 min.
- 8 slices white bread, cubed
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links links, casings removed and sliced
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 9 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- Place bread cubes in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer
- pink; drain. Spoon sausage over bread; sprinkle with cheeses.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and seasonings; pour over
- casserole. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake,
- uncovered, at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until as knife inserted
- near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before
- cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 316 calories, 20 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 214 mg cholesterol, 546 mg sodium,