- 8 slices white bread, cubed
- 1 pound Italian sausage links, casings removed and sliced
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 9 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- Place bread cubes in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; set aside. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Spoon sausage over bread; sprinkle with cheeses.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and seasonings; pour over casserole. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Italian Sausage Egg Bake
"Made this for a breakfast meeting and it was a huge hit. I added some chopped up colored peppers for some color and crunch."
"While I didn't use the herbs or the Italian sausage, I followed the rest of the recipe to a T. This was wonderful even with just regular breakfast sausage and no herbs! Very filling, too."
"We just had this for a holiday brunch at friends house only they made it with bacon and it was so yummy. I think they cooked the bacon first and then chopped it up and mixed it in. It was excellent and warmed our tummies on a day when the high was only 17 degrees."
"Question? do you need to cook the sausage first?"
"I made this for my teen son and friends; they approved. Super easy to put together. I used pepperjack cheese instead and it was amazing. This is my go to recipe from now on."
"It's a delicious and wonderfully filling breakfast casserole that I love making every Christmas for my family, and just a small portion of it is enough to fill a gigantic appetite. I love putting in hot Italian sausage, as my dad and I are big on spicy foods, but we have to tone it down for our family's sake."
"It's my new "go-to" recipe. I's also thinking of adding fresh diced tomatoes and pepperoni slices and serving it as a dinner..."