- 8 slices white bread, cubed
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links links, casings removed and sliced
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 9 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- Place bread cubes in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; set aside. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Spoon sausage over bread; sprinkle with cheeses.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and seasonings; pour over casserole. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until as knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Italian Sausage Egg Bake
Sort By :
"I made this for my teen son and friends; they approved. Super easy to put together. I used pepperjack cheese instead and it was amazing. This is my go to recipe from now on."
"Very good - top browns very nicely in oven and the taste is perfect. (We love Asian Sweet Chili Sauce served with egg dishes like this)."
"It's a delicious and wonderfully filling breakfast casserole that I love making every Christmas for my family, and just a small portion of it is enough to fill a gigantic appetite. I love putting in hot Italian sausage, as my dad and I are big on spicy foods, but we have to tone it down for our family's sake."
"It's my new "go-to" recipe. I's also thinking of adding fresh diced tomatoes and pepperoni slices and serving it as a dinner..."
"I've been using this recipe for 20 years - holiday breakfast & Girlfriend Club brunches !~ I use ground bulk ground turkey sausage to cut back on osome of the fat and pizza seasoning replaces the spices listed. I also use a good Italian or french bread. ALWAYS a hit ! Any leftovers can easily be reheated in the micro for 30-45 seconds. I serve with fresh fruit & Monkey Bread."