- 8 slices white bread, cubed
- 1 pound Italian sausage links, casings removed and sliced
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 9 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- Place bread cubes in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; set aside. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Spoon sausage over bread; sprinkle with cheeses.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and seasonings; pour over casserole. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Italian Sausage Egg Bake
"Made this for a breakfast meeting and it was a huge hit. I added some chopped up colored peppers for some color and crunch."
"This is delicious! The Italian spices set it apart from other breakfast casseroles. I used crusty Italian bread and for the cheddar, VT white cheddar. Skim milk works fine. It is filling, but leftovers reheat well."
"txwildflwr59. . . **In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain**bideford. . .why would that even be a concern? bread is bread"
"While I didn't use the herbs or the Italian sausage, I followed the rest of the recipe to a T. This was wonderful even with just regular breakfast sausage and no herbs! Very filling, too."
"Yeah, use sausage in tube and use gluten free bread if you wish. Both are sausage and bread is bread."