Italian Sausage Deep Dish Pizza Recipe
Brought to you by Johnsonville® Sausage
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Cook: 35 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1 package (19 ounces) Johnsonville® Mild or Hot Italian Sausage Links, casings removed
- 1 small green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 can (2.25 ounces) sliced black olives, drained
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 teaspoons yellow cornmeal
- 2 tubes (13.2 ounces, each) refrigerated country Italian bread dough
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 can (15 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1. Cook sausage links according to package directions; drain, cut into 1/4-inch slices and set aside.
- 2. In a skillet, sauté green pepper slices in 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat until lightly browned. Remove peppers and set aside.
- 3. In the same skillet, add remaining olive oil; sauté mushrooms over medium-high heat until lightly browned.
- 4. Position oven rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 400°F.
- 5. Butter the bottom and sides of two 9-inch round baking pans. Sprinkle 2 teaspoons of cornmeal in the interior of each pan.
- 6. Remove bread dough from tubes, unroll and press one tube of dough up sides and over the bottom of each prepared pan.
- 7. Arrange 3 slices of provolone over dough, followed by 1 1/2 cups of mozzarella and 1/4 cup of Parmesan into each pan. Spread 3/4 cup of pizza sauce over cheese layer. Top each pizza with half of the green peppers, mushrooms, olives and sausage slices.
- 8. Bake at 400°F for 30-35 minutes or until crusts are golden brown. Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Cut into wedges. Serve. Yield: 8 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC