Italian Sausage Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2-1/2 cups onion and garlic croutons
- 8 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 to 4 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook sausage, green pepper, mushrooms and onion until meat is browned and vegetables are tender; drain. Place croutons in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; top with sausage mixture. Beat eggs and milk; pour over sausage.
- 2. Cover and chill for 8 hours or overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 min.
- 3. Sprinkle with the mozzarella and cheddar cheeses. Place tomato slices over top; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 329 calories, 24 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 195 mg cholesterol, 643 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 18 g protein.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.