At the start of each week, my family is already looking forward to our traditional weekend breakfasts, when I serve warm and wonderful dishes such as this. The make-ahead convenience lets me relax with the family as the savory aroma fills the house.
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2-1/2 cups onion and garlic croutons
- 8 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Galbani® Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 to 4 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, cook sausage, green pepper, mushrooms and onion until meat is browned and vegetables are tender; drain. Place croutons in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; top with sausage mixture. Beat eggs and milk; pour over sausage.
- Cover and chill for 8 hours or overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 min.
- Sprinkle with the mozzarella and cheddar cheeses. Place tomato slices over top; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Italian Sausage Casserole in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook 1994, p10
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Italian Sausage Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 27, 2010
"Made this for Christmas. I try something different every year, this I would make again"
Reviewed Oct. 20, 2009
"This was very good!!!!!!"