Italian Sausage Cacciatore Recipe
- 1/4 medium green or sweet yellow pepper, julienned
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 Italian sausage link (about 1/4 pound), casing removed
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2/3 cup tomato juice
- 15 slices pepperoni, halved
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon dried basil
- Pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon sliced ripe olives
- 2 tablespoons Romano or Parmesan cheese
- Hot cooked linguine orfettuccine
- 1. In a skillet, saute the green pepper, onion and garlic in oil until crisp-tender. Crumble sausage into skillet; cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Drain. Add the tomatoes, tomato juice, pepperoni, oregano, basil and pepper. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add mushrooms and olives. Simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in cheese. Serve over pasta. Yield: 2 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 284 calories, 20 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 1,138 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 14 g protein.
Reviews for Italian Sausage Cacciatore
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.