Italian Sausage Bread Recipe
This Italian-style stuffed bread is packed with eggs, sausage, pepperoni and cheese. When I know I'll really be pressed for time, I bake this a day in advance and reheat slices for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- 1 package (16 ounces) hot roll mix
- 6 eggs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage, cooked and drained
- 8 ounces pepperoni, thinly sliced
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded provolone cheese
- Garlic powder to taste
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1. Prepare roll mix and knead dough according to package directions. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, In a large bowl, whisk eggs. In a large skillet, heat butter until hot. Add eggs; cook and stir over medium heat until eggs are completely set. In a large bowl, combine the scrambled eggs, sausage, pepperoni and cheeses.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; roll into a 14-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Sprinkle with garlic powder. Spread filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; pinch seams to seal. Place, seam side down, on a greased baking sheet.
- 4. Beat egg yolk and water; brush over bread. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices).
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC