Italian Sausage Bean Soup Recipe
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/8 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 6 cups chopped fresh kale
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- 2. Stir in the broth, beans, tomatoes, barley, carrot, celery, sage and rosemary. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- 3. Stir in kale; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
1-1/2 cups equals 339 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 1,100 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 11 g fiber, 19 g protein.
Reviews for Italian Sausage Bean Soup
"This soup is delicious! The nice thing is you can change it up so easily; whatever beans you want (I used kidney) quinoa or rice instead of barley. I used turkey Italian sausage (less fat), and endive instead of kale. Also threw in some zucchini along with the other veggies! Delish and so easy!"
"I'm wondering if anyone has used quinoa in this soup recipe rather than barley?"
"I used 1/2 spicy & 1/2 mild Italian sausage, a variety of canned beans (white & red kidney & black beans), and fresh garden tomatoes. This might be the best soup I've ever eaten! It will definitely be one recipe I'll return to time and again."
"Easy and very yummy."
"<p>Very hearty and flavorful. I like the way the barley absorbs some of the broth. I used turkey Italian sausage - less fat but same flavor. Used spinach rather than kale. Delish!</p>"
"EAsy to make, healthy & really delicious. Will make this a regular."
"I found this recipe a week ago and have made it 3x's in double batches. My husbands band was over practicing and they cleaned me out with the first batch. This is the most incredible soup I have ever made. I can't keep this soup in my fridge. I do add more broth. Enjoy"
"Perfect for a cold and snowy winter night. This smelled so delicious while it was simmering away. My family loved it."
"Really delicious! The only changes I made were to double the tomatoes and omit the sage because I didn't have any. Next time I'll throw in more kale--it cooks way down. This recipe is definitely a keeper!"
"I made this a few weeks ago and then froze it. Last night we finally ate it and it was yummy! I had three bowls of it! (Does that cancel out the "low-cal" label on this?)"
"My husband and I enjoyed this soup. He thought that I could have put even more kale in it."
"This is excellent, easy to make. I'd add a few more carrots next time, and a shot of hot sauce in individual bowl was delicius."