Italian Sausage and Vegetables Recipe
- 1-1/4 pounds sweet or hot Italian turkey sausage links
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 small zucchini, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dry bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1. In a nonstick skillet, brown sausages over medium heat. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add vegetables and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 5-1/2 to 6-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 165°.
- 2. Remove sausages and cut into 1-in. pieces; return to slow cooker. Stir in bread crumbs. Serve in bowls; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving equals 304 calories, 13 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 71 mg cholesterol, 838 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 22 g protein.
Reviews for Italian Sausage and Vegetables
"I'll be the somewhat naysayer and report that this was just ok to us. I cut the recipe in half for just me and my husband. I felt like there just wasn't very much spice or flavor to it. Next time I will use Italian diced tomatoes or ones with garlic & onion. I also didn't feel like the bread crumbs really did anything. Lastly, all the ingredients were done cooking but the potatoes were still nowhere near done. I waited another hour but they still tasted pretty crisp. Some of the ones on the bottom tasted perfect though. I think this recipe could've been better with a good stirring in the middle. Because of this, we would have given this recipe a 3, but because I forgot the cheese at the end, and I'm giving the benefit of the doubt that the cheese would've made the meal better, I bumped it up to 4. If I try this again, I will do the tweaks I mentioned above and make sure to include the cheese on top."
"made this for family night......everyone liked it. I used turkey sausage, I think i'll add sweet potatoes next time."
"absolutely yummy! everybody loves this!"
"So easy and so delicious!! I used sweet potatoes and turkey sausage, left out the bread crumbs.....loved it!"
"I've made this many times!!!!!! Very easy to make- I just have to remember to scale back on the red pepper flakes!!!"
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.