Italian Sausage and Vegetables Recipe
- 1-1/4 pounds sweet or hot Italian turkey sausage links
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 small zucchini, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dry bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1. In a nonstick skillet, brown sausages over medium heat. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add vegetables and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 5-1/2 to 6-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 165°.
- 2. Remove sausages and cut into 1-in. pieces; return to slow cooker. Stir in bread crumbs. Serve in bowls; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving equals 304 calories, 13 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 71 mg cholesterol, 838 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 22 g protein.
Reviews for Italian Sausage and Vegetables
"So tasty. We used hot sausage and spicy diced tomatoes, so we didn't need the red pepper flakes. We also used canned diced potatoes to shorten the cooking time to 4 hours. Bread crumbs weren't needed. SOOOOO Good!"
"I'll be the somewhat naysayer and report that this was just ok to us. I cut the recipe in half for just me and my husband. I felt like there just wasn't very much spice or flavor to it. Next time I will use Italian diced tomatoes or ones with garlic & onion. I also didn't feel like the bread crumbs really did anything. Lastly, all the ingredients were done cooking but the potatoes were still nowhere near done. I waited another hour but they still tasted pretty crisp. Some of the ones on the bottom tasted perfect though. I think this recipe could've been better with a good stirring in the middle. Because of this, we would have given this recipe a 3, but because I forgot the cheese at the end, and I'm giving the benefit of the doubt that the cheese would've made the meal better, I bumped it up to 4. If I try this again, I will do the tweaks I mentioned above and make sure to include the cheese on top."
"made this for family night......everyone liked it. I used turkey sausage, I think i'll add sweet potatoes next time."
"absolutely yummy! everybody loves this!"
"So easy and so delicious!! I used sweet potatoes and turkey sausage, left out the bread crumbs.....loved it!"
"I've made this many times!!!!!! Very easy to make- I just have to remember to scale back on the red pepper flakes!!!"
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.