Italian Sausage and Spinach Pie Recipe
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 eggs
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1. In a large skillet, brown sausage and onion over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, breaking sausage into crumbles; drain.
- 2. Separate 1 egg; reserve yolk for brushing pastry. In a large bowl, whisk remaining eggs and egg white. Stir in sausage mixture, spinach, mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, garlic powder and pepper.
- 3. Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Trim pastry even with rim. Add sausage mixture. Roll remaining pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge.
- 4. In a small bowl, whisk water and reserved egg yolk; brush over pastry. Cut slits in top.
- 5. Bake 50 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches): Combine 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour and 1/2 tsp. salt; cut in 1 cup cold butter until crumbly. Gradually add 1/3 to 2/3 cup ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide dough in half and shape into disks; wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
1 piece: 608 calories, 40g fat (19g saturated fat), 248mg cholesterol, 787mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein.
Reviews for Italian Sausage and Spinach Pie
"There should be more reviews for this recipe it's AWESOME and it makes so much ... it's a huge pie. It was a huge hit when made for a birthday party along with other Italian fare. TRY IT won't be disappointed!"
"I only used the bottom crust. I used hot Italian sausage. Try adding a touch of nutmeg to the spinach. It is also good using kale."
"My family did not enjoy the taste."
"It was delicious i loved it it was awesome!!! I think I liked the crust and the spinach the best but it's good with the sausage."
"This was very delicious and not complicated to make, especially because I used pre-made crust. With a regular size pie pan, the recipe was definitely enough for 2 good-sized pies, so that's what I made. I took the suggestions of others and used 3 cups mozzarella and 2 cups ricotta. My family loved it, and we're looking forward to reheating the second one!"
"I used half the mozzarella, but otherwise made it as written, and it was delicious. Most of my children liked it, too. It holds together well, but I would definitely let it cool AT LEAST the 10 minutes listed, lest it be watery."
"Great used spicy sausage, a little more ricotta and a little less mozzerella (what was in the fridge)Turned out well, looks impressive!"
"Absolutely yummy! Perfect for brunch, lunch or dinner! Only things I did differently was use refrigerated store bought crusts and added about 1 tsp dry mustard. And I used hot Italian sausage!. A real keeper!!!"
"Absolutely delicious. Recipe is enough for 2 pies. One to eat and one for the freezer."