The basic recipe came from my mother, but I've added a few ingredients. The flavors blend so well, and it even tastes good cold. This makes a hearty supper, especially when you serve it with a side of pasta.—Teresa Johnson, Peru, Illinois
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 eggs
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a large skillet, brown sausage and onion over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, breaking sausage into crumbles; drain.
- Separate 1 egg; reserve yolk for brushing pastry. In a large bowl, whisk remaining eggs and egg white. Stir in sausage mixture, spinach, mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, garlic powder and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Trim pastry even with rim. Add sausage mixture. Roll remaining pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge.
- In a small bowl, whisk water and reserved egg yolk; brush over pastry. Cut slits in top.
- Bake 50 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Italian Sausage and Spinach Pie in Country April/May 1993, p47
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Italian Sausage and Spinach Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review