Italian Sausage and Spinach Pie Recipe
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Italian Links
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 eggs
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a large skillet, brown sausage and onion over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, breaking sausage into crumbles; drain.
- Separate 1 egg; reserve yolk for brushing pastry. In a large bowl, whisk remaining eggs and egg white. Stir in sausage mixture, spinach, mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, garlic powder and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Trim pastry even with rim. Add sausage mixture. Roll remaining pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge.
- In a small bowl, whisk water and reserved egg yolk; brush over pastry. Cut slits in top.
- Bake 50 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Italian Sausage and Spinach Pie
Sort By :
"I only used the bottom crust. I used hot Italian sausage. Try adding a touch of nutmeg to the spinach. It is also good using kale."
"My family did not enjoy the taste."
"It was delicious i loved it it was awesome!!! I think I liked the crust and the spinach the best but it's good with the sausage."
"This was very delicious and not complicated to make, especially because I used pre-made crust. With a regular size pie pan, the recipe was definitely enough for 2 good-sized pies, so that's what I made. I took the suggestions of others and used 3 cups mozzarella and 2 cups ricotta. My family loved it, and we're looking forward to reheating the second one!"
"A very hearty meal good for breakfast lunch or dinner. We loved it. I think I may experiment by adding some pepperoni and sliced black olives with a little less mozzarella. For breakfast the next morning we served this with a side of home made tomatillo salsa. Yummy!"