Italian Sausage and Sauerkraut Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cans (one 16 ounces, one 8 ounces) sauerkraut, undrained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 7 to 8 medium potatoes
- 1/3 cup milk
- Pinch pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Paprika and chopped fresh parsley, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion until sausage is no longer pink; drain. Add sauerkraut, brown sugar and poultry seasoning; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Transfer to an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook potatoes until tender; drain and mash slightly. Add milk, pepper and salt if desired; mash until smooth. Spread evenly over sausage mixture; dot with butter.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are lightly browned. Garnish with paprika and parsley if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 303 calories, 15 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 1,000 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 12 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.