Clair Arrico of Portsmouth, Rhode Island shares the dish her mother used to make. "It's easy and convenient, thanks to the purchased spaghetti sauce the recipe calls for," she details.
- 2 Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1-1/4 cups spaghetti sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 Italian sandwich rolls or submarine buns, split
- Cut sausage into 3/4-in. pieces. In a skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until sausage is browned; drain. Stir in the peppers, spaghetti sauce, sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano and parsley.
- Place in a greased 1-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until sausage and peppers are tender, stirring every 20 minutes. Serve on rolls. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Italian Sausage and Peppers in Country Woman September/October 2002, p39
Reviews for Italian Sausage and Peppers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 24, 2010
"Made it with Italian chicken sausages since I had non-pork/beef eaters in the group. I sauteed everything a day ahead and then heated in oven. Worked well for a group event."