Italian Sausage & Bean Soup
The unusual blend of sausage and beans with coleslaw makes this soup for a cold winter night the definition of complete comfort food. The recipe doubles easily, so serve a crowd and pair with crusty bread and a tossed salad. —Stacey Bennett, Locust Grove, Virginia
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound bulk hot Italian sausage
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (16 ounces) coleslaw mix
- 1 jar (24 ounces) garlic and herb spaghetti sauce
- 3 cups water
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink;
- drain. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; simmer, uncovered, for 16-20 minutes or until flavors are
- blended. Yield: 6 servings (2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1.333 cups equals 416 calories, 21 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 1,411 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 12 g fiber, 23 g protein.