Bring a bit of Italy to the table without the usual pasta and sauce. This colorful side dish blends fluffy rice, fresh spinach and roasted red peppers." The amount of garlic can be adjust to fit your personal taste," suggests Michelle Armistead of Marlboro, New Jersey. "For me, the more garlic, the better!"
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 8 cups fresh spinach (about 10 ounces), chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute garlic in oil for 1 minute. Stir
- in spinach. Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes or until tender; drain
- well. Add the vinegar, salt and pepper. Stir in the rice and red
- peppers until combined. Cook and stir until heated through. Yield: 4
Nutritional Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 151 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 398 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.