Italian Ribs and Rice
With meat, vegetables and rice, here's a dish that can be a whole meal by itself. It'll satisfy the hunger of anyone at your table.
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 1-3/4 hours
- 3 pounds country-style pork ribs
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 small green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- In a Dutch oven, brown ribs in oil over medium-high heat. Cover and
- cook over low heat for 1-1/4 hours, turning occasionally. Remove
- ribs and set aside; drain.
- In the same pan, bring tomatoes and water to a boil. Stir in the
- rice, green pepper, garlic, sugar, 1 teaspoon salt and Italian
- seasoning. Place ribs over rice; sprinkle with remaining salt. Cover
- and cook on low for 30 minutes or until rice and meat are tender.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 393 calories, 16 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 86 mg cholesterol, 939 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 29 g protein.