Italian Restaurant Chicken Recipe
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 pounds), cut up and skin removed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped carrot
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In an ovenproof Dutch oven, brown chicken in oil in batches. Remove and keep warm.
- 2. In same pan, saute onion, celery, carrot and garlic in pan drippings until tender. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in tomatoes, bay leaf, rosemary and chicken; bring to a boil.
- 3. Cover and bake 50-60 minutes or until juices run clear. Discard bay leaf; sprinkle with basil. Yield: 6 servings.
3 ounces cooked chicken with 2/3 cup sauce equals 254 calories, 11 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 442 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 27 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.