Italian Red Pepper Bruschetta Recipe
To make this easy appetizer, I halve a loaf of Italian bread, then top it with a blend of fresh basil, oregano, garlic and red peppers, tomatoes and cheeses. It's hard to eat just one slice! —Josephine Devereaux Piro of Easton, Pennsylvania
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced Italian bread
- 3 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 large sweet red peppers, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano
- 6 plum tomatoes, sliced
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 slices reduced-fat provolone cheese, julienned
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. Cut bread in half lengthwise; place on a baking sheet. In a nonstick skillet, saute 2 garlic cloves in 2 tablespoons oil until tender. Brush over cut side of bread.
- 2. In the same skillet, saute the red peppers, onion, Italian seasoning and remaining garlic in remaining oil until vegetables are tender; remove from the heat. Add 2 tablespoons basil, parsley and oregano; cool slightly. Place in a blender or food processor; cover and process until pureed. Spread over bread.
- 3. Top with tomato slices and cheese. Sprinkle with remaining basil. Bake at 400° for 10-13 minutes or until cheese is melted and edges are golden brown. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 190 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 309mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Reviews for Italian Red Pepper Bruschetta
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC