Italian Red Pepper Bruschetta Recipe
To make this easy appetizer, I halve a loaf of Italian bread, then top it with a blend of fresh basil, oregano, garlic and red peppers, tomatoes and cheeses. It's hard to eat just one slice! Josephine Devereaux Piro of Easton, Pennsylvania
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced Italian bread
- 3 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 large sweet red peppers, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano
- 6 plum tomatoes, sliced
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 slices reduced-fat provolone cheese, julienned
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cut bread in half lengthwise; place on a baking sheet. In a nonstick skillet, saute 2 garlic cloves in 2 tablespoons oil until tender. Brush over cut side of bread.
- In the same skillet, saute the red peppers, onion, Italian seasoning and remaining garlic in remaining oil until vegetables are tender; remove from the heat. Add 2 tablespoons basil, parsley and oregano; cool slightly. Place in a blender or food processor; cover and process until pureed. Spread over bread.
- Top with tomato slices and cheese. Sprinkle with remaining basil. Bake at 400° for 10-13 minutes or until cheese is melted and edges are golden brown. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Italian Red Pepper Bruschetta in Light & Tasty June/July 2003, p37
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Italian Red Pepper Bruschetta(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 23, 2011
I love this stuff. It started out as an appetizer but now we have it for dinner...great at parties as well! YUM!!!!
More Recipe Collections
- Appetizers >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Baking Recipes >
- Bread Appetizers >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Bruschetta >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Diabetic Appetizers >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Finger Foods & Finger Food Recipes >
- Healthy Appetizers >
- Healthy Cooking Appetizers >
- Healthy Finger Foods >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Italian Appetizers >
- Italian Bruschetta >
- Italian Recipes >
- Low Fat Appetizers >