Italian Rainbow Cookies Recipe
M family has made these classic Italian cookies for generations, and this homemade version is so much better than the bakery version. They are always a special treat during the holidays or any time of year!—Cindy Casazza, Hopewell, New Jersey
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3-1/2 ounces almond paste, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 to 8 drops red food coloring
- 6 to 8 drops green food coloring
- 1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar 2-3 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually add almond paste; mix well. Gradually add flour, butter, salt and extract.
- 2. Divide batter into thirds. Tint one portion red and one portion green; leave remaining portion plain. Spread one portion into each of three well-greased 11x7-in. baking dishes.
- 3. Bake 7-11 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and edges begins to brown. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. Place red layer on waxed paper; spread with 2 tablespoons jam. Top with plain layer and remaining jam. Add green layer; press down gently.
- 5. For glaze, in a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Spread half over green layer. Refrigerate 20 minutes or until set. Turn over; spread remaining glaze over red layer. Refrigerate 20 minutes or until set.
- 6. With a sharp knife, trim edges. Cut rectangle lengthwise into fourths. Cut each portion into 1/4-in. slices. Yield: 11 dozen.
1 cookie equals 35 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 21 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC