- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3-1/2 ounces almond paste, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 to 8 drops red food coloring
- 6 to 8 drops green food coloring
- 1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar 2-3 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually add almond paste; mix well. Gradually add flour, butter, salt and extract.
- Divide batter into thirds. Tint one portion red and one portion green; leave remaining portion plain. Spread one portion into each of three well-greased 11x7-in. baking dishes.
- Bake 7-11 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and edges begins to brown. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Place red layer on waxed paper; spread with 2 tablespoons jam. Top with plain layer and remaining jam. Add green layer; press down gently.
- For glaze, in a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Spread half over green layer. Refrigerate 20 minutes or until set. Turn over; spread remaining glaze over red layer. Refrigerate 20 minutes or until set.
- With a sharp knife, trim edges. Cut rectangle lengthwise into fourths. Cut each portion into 1/4-in. slices. Yield: 11 dozen.
Originally published as Italian Rainbow Cookies in Taste of Home Winning Recipes 3 2012, p229
Reviews for Italian Rainbow Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 16, 2013
"Made for the first time today, they are cooling and will freeze when done. They look great!"