Italian Rainbow Cookies Recipe
M family has made these classic Italian cookies for generations, and this homemade version is so much better than the bakery version. They are always a special treat during the holidays or any time of year!Cindy Casazza, Hopewell, New Jersey
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3-1/2 ounces almond paste, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 to 8 drops red food coloring
- 6 to 8 drops green food coloring
- 1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar for 2 to 3 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually add almond paste; mix well. Gradually add the flour, butter, salt and extract.
- Divide batter into thirds. Tint one portion red and one portion green; leave remaining portion plain. Spread one portion into each of three well-greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dishes.
- Bake at 375° for 7-11 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean and edges begins to brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Place red layer on waxed paper; spread with 2 tablespoons jam. Top with plain layer and remaining jam. Add green layer; press down gently.
- For glaze, in a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Spread half over green layer. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until set. Turn over; spread remaining glaze over red layer. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until set.
- With a sharp knife, trim edges. Cut rectangle lengthwise into fourths. Cut each portion into 1/4-in. slices. Yield: 11 dozen.
Originally published as Italian Rainbow Cookies in Taste of Home Winning Recipes 3 2012, p229
Reviews for Italian Rainbow Cookies(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 16, 2013
Made for the first time today, they are cooling and will freeze when done. They look great!
More Recipe Collections
- Chocolate Chip Recipes >
- Chocolate Cookie Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Cookie Recipes >
- Cookies >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Gift Recipes >
- Holiday Cookie Recipes >
- Italian Desserts >
- Italian Recipes >
- Low Carb Desserts >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >