Italian Quiches Recipe
- 2 unbaked pastry shells (9 inches)
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 4 cups (16 ounces) finely shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, thinly sliced
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Line unpricked pastry shells with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake 4 minutes. Remove foil; bake 4 minutes longer. Remove from oven; leave oven on.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Spoon sausage into pastry shells; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Top with onion and peppers. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk and garlic. Pour over peppers; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Cover edges of quiches loosely with foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked quiches up to 3 months. To use, remove from the freezer 30 minutes before baking (do not thaw). Preheat oven to 400°. Cover edges of crust loosely with foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 2 quiches (6 servings each).
1 piece equals 395 calories, 25 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 155 mg cholesterol, 565 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 20 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.