- 1 tablespoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 tablespoon steak seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium green or sweet red peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 12 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- In a small bowl, combine the fennel seed, steak seasoning and cayenne if desired. Cut roast in half. Rub seasoning mixture over pork. In a large skillet, brown roast in oil on all sides. Place in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the peppers, onions and tomatoes; cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices. Shred pork with two forks and return to slow cooker; heat through. Using a slotted spoon, place 1/2 cup meat mixture on each bun. Yield: 12 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a blush wine such as White Zinfandel or a Rosé.
Reviews for Italian Pulled Pork Sandwiches
"I didn't like the smell or the taste of this. Oddly my son didn't complain. Husband was out of town, so not sure what his thoughts on this would of been. I had to add giarderia to the sandwiches just to make it taste good. I did NOT go back for seconds like I usually do."
"very easy to make & has excellent flavor"
"Seasoning just too much."
"Very tasty. I omitted the fennel and it was good."
"This was really good! DH and I really liked it!"
"The meat was really good and moist and I loved the mix of onions and peoppers. I would modify the seasoning mix -The fennel was way too over powering."
"easy and delicious!"