Italian Potato Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1. In a skillet, cook sausage until no longer pink; drain. Place in a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Top with potatoes. In the same skillet, saute onion, green pepper and garlic in oil for 5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- 2. Stir in the mushrooms, tomatoes, olives, basil, salt and pepper. Spoon over potatoes to within 1 in. of edge of dish. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese and parsley on top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until top is lightly browned. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 308 calories, 16 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 889 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 14 g protein.
Reviews for Italian Potato Casserole
"I can't believe I have not rated this recipe. I have been making it for years and it still one of the best recipes when you have company. I have never had to change a thing with this recipe. It comes out perfect every time."
"I made several changes to this recipe. Meat & Potatoes the same; used 1 medium onion, diced;1 green pepper, diced; garlic, fresh mushrooms,sliced ripe olives & fresh tomatoes, the same. Only next time, I will place each fresh tomato in boiling water for a short time & peel the skin off & dice the tomato, so the skin will not come off the tomato & float in the sauce, as mine did. For the seasoning, I used 1 tsp. Italian seasoning, 1 tsp. dried basil, 1/2 tsp. seasoned salt & 1/4 tsp. pepper. Those were the only other changes that I made. This did not make a lot & I may double the recipe next time, but it was delicious & very Italian tasting & a nice presentation. Thanks for the recipe!"
"This was so good!! But I added some Italian Seasoning to mine and some more salt. :) I loved this recipe!!"
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.