- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup Burgundy wine or beef broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Cut roast in half. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the tomatoes, onion, wine, salt, basil, oregano, garlic and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat to a serving platter; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with meat. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Italian Pot Roast
Sort By :
It was ok
Not as expected. Disapointing bland flavor.
This was great!! A keeper in our family!
very good flavor....too many tomatoes, maybe just use a 15 oz. can....good subtle flavor from oregano and basil...i minced 4 garlic cloves and used 1 beef bouillion cube for the broth...reduced the salt to 1 tsp....served with mashed potatoes...very tasty.
This was done for me after 3.5 hours (my cooker runs hot, even on "low"). Very good. The gravy was really good on the meat and my mashed potatoes! Next time, I'll add quartered mushrooms to the tomato mixture or gravy b/c we're big on 'shrooms. But sure, I'd make this again...and I don't even like pot roast! I couldn't find the wine, so I used beef broth, and that was no problem. While this was cooking, the house smelled yummy.