- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce or ketchup
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 16 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced deli ham
- Additional spaghetti sauce, warmed, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- On a piece of heavy-duty foil, pat beef mixture into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Layer with six cheese slices, ham and six more cheese slices.
- Roll up jelly roll-style, starting with a short side and peeling foil away while rolling. Seal seam and ends. Place seam side down in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 70 minutes or until no pink remains and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Top with remaining cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with additional spaghetti sauce if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Italian Pinwheel Meat Loaf
"I also cut the recipe in half but added about 1/2 c. minced onions instead of onion powder. The onions exude some water, keeping the meat loaf moister."
"This is fabulous with the spaghetti sauce. I halved the recipe to make a smaller loaf."