Italian Pignoli Cookies Recipe
Cookies are the crown jewels of Italian confections. I can’t let a holiday go by without baking these traditional almond cookies rolled in mild pine nuts.—Maria Regakis, Somerville, Massachusetts
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min./batch YIELD:30 servings
- 1-1/4 cups (12 ounces) almond paste
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 egg whites, divided
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 cups pine nuts
- 1. In a small bowl, beat almond paste and sugar until crumbly. Beat in 2 egg whites. Gradually add confectioners' sugar; mix well.
- 2. Whisk remaining egg whites in a shallow bowl. Place pine nuts in another shallow bowl. Shape dough into 1-in. balls. Roll in egg whites and coat with pine nuts. Place 2 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Flatten slightly.
- 3. Bake at 325° for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
1 cookie equals 112 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 7 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC