Italian Pesto Pizzas
These individual pizzas, ready in 30 minutes or less, give you good reason not to call out for dinner. The pesto base makes the kitchen smell wonderful while it’s baking. —Kelly Evans, Kalamazoo, Michigan
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 whole wheat pita or flat breads
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet yellow pepper
- 1 plum tomato, halved and sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons sliced ripe olives, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Place pita breads on an ungreased baking sheet; spread with pesto.
- Layer with mozzarella cheese, spinach, mushrooms, yellow pepper,
- tomato, onion, Parmesan cheese, olives if desired and pepper flakes.
- Bake at 425° for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top
- pizzas with basil. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 pizza (calculated without olives) equals 430 calories, 19 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 813 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 26 g protein.