Italian Pepper Steak Recipe
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, trimmed
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, julienned
- 1 medium onion, julienned
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1. In a small bowl, combine 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Rub mixture over both sides of steak; set aside.
- 2. In a large nonstick skillet, saute the peppers, onion and garlic in oil until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in the tomatoes and remaining Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in vinegar; keep warm.
- 3. Place steak on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 4-8 minutes on each side or until the meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing; serve with vegetable mixture. Yield: 4 servings.
3 ounce-weight: 244 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 500mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Italian Pepper Steak
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.