Italian Peasant Soup Recipe
- 1 pound Italian sausage links, casings removed and cut into 1-inch slices
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 cups fresh spinach leaves, chopped
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook sausage and onions over medium heat until no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Add chicken; cook and stir until no longer pink.
- 2. Stir in the beans, broth, tomatoes, basil and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add the spinach and heat just until wilted. Serve with cheese if desired. Yield: 11 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 169 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 471 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 16 g protein.
Reviews for Italian Peasant Soup
"This is our favorite soup on a cold, snowy day like today."
"Wife and daughter LOVED this soup. I did add 32 oz of chicken broth, 2 bouillon cubes, about 1 1/2 lbs of chicken breasts and 6 FULL cups of fresh spinach. A keeper!"
"Wife and daughter loved it. A keeper. Will make again on another cold winters day. I did add extra chicken broth (32 oz) and was a little heavier on the spinach, plus 2 cubes of chick broth."
"Wow, my family loved this! If I could give it 10 stars I would. Easy to half since there's only three of us with leftovers for lunch the next day. Have passed this recipe on to several coworkers also"
"This is one of our favorite soups. I do use the ground Italian turkey sausage instead for a healthier version. I think it is a very attractive soup to serve with all the various colors."
"Enjoyed it very much!"
"Easy to make and delicious! I made it just with the chicken since I don't like italian sausage....."
"One of our favorite soups. We use ground mild Italian sausage and sometimes leave out the chicken. We also add an extra can or two of chicken broth to make it a little soupier. Love this recipe!!!"
"Have made it many times and we love it, even my son who doesn't love soup"
"This soup was great...my husband loved it and he doesn't like many soups. Will make it again."
"Love, love love this recipe. I've been making it for years. I'm going to try it w/ lower fat butterball turkey Italian sausage."
"This soup was very good with lots of flavor! It was easy to make and did not take alot of prep time. I let it simmer a little longer than the recipe called for. Turned out great first time around."