Italian Peasant Soup Recipe
My father shared this recipe with me, and I use it when I need a hearty, healthy meal. It's my sons' favorite. Loaded with sausage, chicken, beans and spinach, the quick soup is nice for special occasions, too. —Kim Knight Hamburg, Pennsylvania
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 25 min. YIELD:11 servings
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links links, casings removed and cut into 1-inch slices
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 cups fresh spinach leaves, chopped
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook sausage and onions over medium heat until no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Add chicken; cook and stir until no longer pink.
- 2. Stir in the beans, broth, tomatoes, basil and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add the spinach and heat just until wilted. Serve with cheese if desired. Yield: 11 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 169 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 471 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 16 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC