End the week on a fun note with an easy-to-serve and easy-to-enjoy sandwich. Either serve these Italian-style burgers as a sandwich or open-faced with extra sauce. Simple and Delicious Test Kitchen
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce, divided
- 3 tablespoons seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 slices Italian bread
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, 1/4 cup spaghetti sauce, bread crumbs and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into four oval patties; set aside.
- Combine butter and seasonings; brush over both sides of bread. In a large skillet, toast bread until lightly browned; set aside.
- In the same skillet, cook patties over medium heat for 4-6 minutes on each side or until no longer pink.
- Spoon remaining sauce over patties; sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook for 1 minute or until cheese is melted. Place burgers on four slices of toast; top with remaining toast. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Italian Patty Melts in Simple & Delicious November/December 2008, p10
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Italian Patty Melts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review