- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce, divided
- 3 tablespoons seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 slices Italian bread
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, 1/4 cup spaghetti sauce, bread crumbs and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into four oval patties; set aside.
- Combine butter and seasonings; brush over both sides of bread. In a large skillet, toast bread until lightly browned; set aside.
- In the same skillet, cook patties over medium heat for 4-6 minutes on each side or until no longer pink.
- Spoon remaining sauce over patties; sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook for 1 minute or until cheese is melted. Place burgers on four slices of toast; top with remaining toast. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Italian Patty Melts
Sort By :
I put the bread on an electric griddle to cook as the patties were fixed in the skillet.
These looked so good, but didn't taste all that well. I'd much rather just have a plain ol' hamburger.