- 4 pounds ground beef
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes in puree
- 3 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 3 cups chicken or beef broth
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice, optional
- Hot cooked pasta
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook beef in two batches over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. Cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In the same pan, saute onion, celery and garlic in oil until vegetables are tender. Return the beef and sausage to the pan. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-3 hours or until desired thickness is reached, stirring occasionally. Serve over pasta. Yield: 20 servings.
Originally published as Italian Pasta Sauce in Down the Aisle Country-Style 2000, p33
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Italian Pasta Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review